Monday, September 10, 2012

Homemade wholemeal and seed bread

Don't you just love it when the smell of fresh bread fills the house! We generally don't buy the bread at the shops because I just enjoy making my own, creating unique versions and to spoil my body with a variety of grains. I strongly believe that there is a massive difference in making your own fresh bread from a taste and health perspective.

I still remember when as a kid we used to go to the french bakeries to buy fresh bread; it was one of the most amazing experiences, the smell and the taste of fresh bread is just a wonderful experience. Somehow by the time my brother and me used to walk home to our holiday house from the bakery one of the loafs of bread always disappeared....

So today I made a wholemeal and seed loaf that I teamed up with a pea and bacon soup for dinner. It turned out delicious!


You will need the following:
- 50g each of wheat, buckwheat and quinoa (freshly milled on speed 10 for one minute or use already milled if you do not have a Thermomix)
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 300g water
- 20g rapadura sugar
- 250g flour
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 2 tablespoons each of chia seeds and pepita seeds to sprinkle on top

  1. First heat up yeast, water and sugar on 37 degrees for 2 minutes on speed 1.
  2. Next add the milled grains, flour and salt and mix on speed 6 for 6 seconds.
  3. Knead for about 5 minutes.
  4. Put dough into a bowl and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled or if you have a dehydrator place a towel over the bowl and leave on 115 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
  5. Once the dough has risen place in a springform, brush with water and sprinkle the seeds on top.
  6. Bake on 220 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.
 I hope you enjoy this fresh bread as much as we did!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print/PDF Button