Saturday, January 26, 2013

Raw Walnut and Sesame Seed Milk



In case you haven't noticed I love including raw foods in every day I get to enjoy in my beautiful kitchen. 

Inspired by Sarah Britton's talk on TedX Amsterdam (I have included her awesome and so inspirational video for you above) I decided to make my own nut and seed milk, raw of course. In the past I often used just one type of nut but I hadn't played or enjoyed mixes as such, so today was a little different.

What I love about Sarah Britton's approach is that rather than changing your whole diet or restricitng yourself in any way she focuses on introducing positive changes daily. Really, when you think about it if you were to make one positive change to your diet every single day that would amount to 365 great changes to improve your health over a whole year! How awesome is that and how much fun would we have trying out new things throughout that year. It is truly a special journey!


So back to my raw milk. I decided to go for walnuts and sesame seeds. Why did I choose these two delicious types? First of all sesame seeds are famous for their high calcium and magnesium content which truly makes them a super seed! Plus I love walnuts because they are a rich source of the healthy omega-3 fats and therefore a great energy source! I had previously tried to make milk just from using sesame seeds on their own but somehow the taste turned out fairly bitter for my liking.

With this walnut and sesame seed milk I added another one of my favourites: cinnamon! After I added all the ingredients for blending it smelled a little bit like Christmas with the walnuts and cinnamon flavours coming out of my Thermomix bowl. Of course these flavours and scents are also beautiful all year around!



Here are the ingredients:
  • half cup walnuts
  • half cup sesame seeds
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to your liking)
  1. First soak the walnuts and sesame seeds in enough water to cover them. I generally soak my nuts and seeds over night. 
  2. Next strain the liquid from the walnuts and sesame seeds and place them in your blender or Thermomix if you have one.
  3. Add the water and cinnamon. Blend for about 30 seconds in your blender (if you have a Thermomix on speed 10 for 30 seconds).
  4. Strain the liquid through a nut milk bag and enjoy with your breakfast, your tea and maybe even in your coffee!


Have you made your own nut and seed milks? What are your favourite combinations?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Print/PDF Button