The other morning at my house the smell of cinnamon and apple was filling my house. Coming from a European background these smells take me back into the Christmas period when the weather is cold outside. Nowadays it is a little different living here in Western Australia where we often get to enjoy a really hot Christmas celebration. And by hot I mean really hot. Sometimes even above 40 degrees Celsius.
Lately I have become very hooked on quinoa and it has turned into my new beauty food. For a reason. Quinoa contains all essential amino acids. Amino acids are essential to build muscle and a toned body. It is known to be one of the most nutritious complex carbs.
Here is the recipe for the baked apple quinoa with protein crumble.
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup uncooked white quinoa
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or more if you love it as much as I do)
- 1 chopped apple
- 2 tbsp seeds or your choice of potein powder
- 1 tbsp rapadura sugar
- 3 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- In a casserole dish combine the water, white quinoa, maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Stir to mix well.
- Add the chopped apple.
- Cover the dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While the quinoa is baking combine the seeds/protein powder, sugar, hazelnuts, coconut oil and cinnamon to form a crumble like mixture.
- After the 30 minutes remove the casserole dish from the oven.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
- Return the casserole dish and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Please let me know how you enjoy this recipe and if you would like me to share more recipes like this one.
Also please let me know if you are looking for healthier versions of a dish or if you are looking for recipes to incorporate more of a certain ingredient.